SMT GADIPALLI KAVITHA
Chairperson
Zpp Khammam
ZILLA PRAJA PARISHAD KHAMMAM
ZILLA PRAJA PARISHAD KHAMMAM

SRI MARUPAKA NAGESH
Chief Executive Officer
Zpp Khammam

District History


Khammam district was named after its district headquarters Khammam town, which derived from the name of the temple Narsihmadri, and then termed as 'Stambadhri' .The vertical rock under the temple is known as 'KAMBA'(Urdu) which literally means piller.It is believed that the temple has been existed from Treth Yuga.

The district was formed out with the five taluks of Warangal district viz., Khammam, Madhira, Yellandu, Burgampadu and Paloncha (Now Kothagudem) on 1st October, 1953.

In 1959 Bhadrachalam Revenue Division of East Godawari district, was merged into Khammam. In 1973 a new taluk with Sathupalli as headquarters was formed carving out from Madhira and Kothagudem taluks. In the year 1976 four new taluks were formed viz., Tirumalayapalem, Sudimalla, Aswaraopeta and Manuguru by bifurcating Khammam, Yellandu, Kothagudem and Burgampadu taluks respectively Khammam is the headquarters of the Khamma district, is situated 193 kilometers from the state capital Hyderabad on the banks of river Munneru, a tributary of river Krishna. In 1985, following the introduction of the Mandal system the district has been divided into mandals.Now the district has 4 revenue Divisions, 46 mandals, 1242 revenue villages and 149 uninhabited villages, 9 towns including 7 Municipalities and 770 Gram Panchayats. The total geographical area of the district is 15,809 Sq. KMs. Khammam district lies in Southern Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh state and is the 6th largest in the state. Out of the total area, 749272 Hectors is covered by forest land. This is 46.74 % of the area.